This is my all time favorite breakfast. It tastes so decadent but its not!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- splash olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup asiago cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the olive oil in a medium heat pan.
- Saute the onions and garlic. When they soften add the mushrooms and kale.
- Add the water, almond milk and steel cut oats. Cover with a lid and simmer until the oats become tender, about 30 minutes.
- Toss in the asiago cheese and turn off heat. Scoop some of the risotto into a bowl. I made two bowls.
- Boil a pot of water, turn it down a little.
- Crack eggs into a ramekin or cup. I make two at a time.
- Create a gentle whirlpool in the water to help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
- Slowly pour the eggs into the water. Let the eggs cook for four minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, and gentle place the egg on top of the oat risotto.
- Add a little salt and pepper, enjoy!
It makes six servings so, every morning I heat up two servings of the oat risotto and top them with freshly poached eggs. I normally avoid cheese but I love it in the recipe because it helps keep me full.