I dream about Mac N’ Cheese, but I’m lactose intolerant so I don’t indulge very often. Luckily, mixing roasted butternut squash, nutritional yeast and almond milk creates a delightful cheese-like sauce my body can tolerate!
- Splash olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 broccoli crowns, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 a medium sized butternut squash, peeled, chopped and roasted
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups water
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a pot. Add onions and garlic.
- When the onion and garlic start to soften, add in the quinoa. Stir it occasionally.
- Toast the quinoa until it turns a light, golden, brown color. Toasting the quinoa will give it a nutty flavor.
- Add the broccoli, salt and pepper and water. Turn up the heat until the water starts to boil.
- Turn the heat down and cover with a lid. Set a timer for 10 minutes.
- When the ten minutes are up, take the pot off the heat.
- In a food processor, pour in the butternut squash, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper.
- Turn on the food processor while slowly adding the almond milk. Process it until it becomes smooth.
- Add the mixture to the pot of quinoa and broccoli. Mix it until it is fully incorporated.
- Dump the mixture into a baking dish. Top with a light dusting of nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. If you want to add cheese to the top, its pretty good that way.
- Bake for 40 minutes in a 400 degree fahrenheit oven.