The cold, rainy weather the last couple of weeks was making me feel unmotivated and sluggish. This soup made me feel better and hopeful for the spring!
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 rutabaga, chopped
- 4 medium sized carrots, shredded
- 1/4 head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 handfuls greens, I used beet greens
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup farro
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- splash olive oil
- optional thai basil garnish
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot.
- Toss in onion, garlic, celery, carrots, ginger, cabbage, and rutabaga. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cayenne, turmeric, salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar. Stir to fully incorporate.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, greens and farro.
- Bring the soup up to a boil then turn the heat low and let it cook for a few hours.