The cold, rainy weather the last couple of weeks was making me feel unmotivated and sluggish. This soup made me feel better and hopeful for the spring!
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 rutabaga, chopped
- 4 medium sized carrots, shredded
- 1/4 head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 handfuls greens, I used beet greens
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup farro
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- splash olive oil
- optional thai basil garnish
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot.
- Toss in onion, garlic, celery, carrots, ginger, cabbage, and rutabaga. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cayenne, turmeric, salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar. Stir to fully incorporate.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, greens and farro.
- Bring the soup up to a boil then turn the heat low and let it cook for a few hours.
I’m feeling a little under the weather today, so I decided it is a perfect day to make this soup. I made the vegetable broth with lemongrass to give it a medicinal boost. Lemongrass has many health benefits, but today I’m mostly interested in how it helps heal colds. I highly recommend incorporating kimchi in your diet. It has many health benefits, including digestive aid and immunity boosting, two assets I can really use today.
- 6 cups vegetable broth (I make my own but store bought works too)
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and cubed
- 3 cups mushrooms of choice, I used shitake and baby bella, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 jar kimchi
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Red Pepper, Nice Tasty(Korean Red Pepper Powder)
- black pepper to taste
- Splash sesame oil
- Heat the sesame oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and let them cook until they are soft.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms. Let cook for a few minutes so the mushrooms release their juices.
- Add the soy sauce, black pepper and Red Pepper, Nice Tasty, make sure to stir it around real good.
- Wait a few minutes then add the vegetable broth, tofu and kimchi. Let simmer for at least an hour.