The cold, rainy weather the last couple of weeks was making me feel unmotivated and sluggish. This soup made me feel better and hopeful for the spring!
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 rutabaga, chopped
- 4 medium sized carrots, shredded
- 1/4 head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 handfuls greens, I used beet greens
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup farro
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- splash olive oil
- optional thai basil garnish
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot.
- Toss in onion, garlic, celery, carrots, ginger, cabbage, and rutabaga. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cayenne, turmeric, salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar. Stir to fully incorporate.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, greens and farro.
- Bring the soup up to a boil then turn the heat low and let it cook for a few hours.
It’s so cold out today! I still can’t believe it snowed yesterday, weird! I kid but I really wanted to make a spicy, filling, low calorie soup today. I went out last night for dinner and ate way to much!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 6 small carrots, chopped
- 3/4 a head of cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow split peas
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 12 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes to taste
- splash olive oil
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a soup pot.
- Saute the onions, garlic and jalapeños until fragrant.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, cayenne and red pepper flakes. Give it a good stir.
- Toss in the carrots and cabbage. stir it around, making sure to coat the cabbage and carrots in the seasoning.
- Pour in the rest of the ingredients and bring it to a boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for at least an hour.