What’s more cozy than a big bowl of pot roast? You don’t have to miss out on this pleasure if you don’t eat meat. Portobellos have a very meaty, wonderful texture!
- 6 portobello mushrooms, rough chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup good bourbon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- splash olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a big pot.
- Add the portobellos to the pot. Over medium heat, cook them until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of bourbon into the pot and cook for about 2 minutes until the mushrooms have absorbed some of the bourbon. Use a spoon strainer to remove them from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and garlic to the pot, and stir around. Cook for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let the vegetables cook while, in a small pot, add 4 cups of water. Whisk in the chickpea flour and the Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a quick boil. Continue to whisk for another minute to be sure the flour has dissolved and there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the big pot with the vegetables. Toss in the peas, bay leaf and the precooked portobello mushrooms.
- Let it simmer for at least an hour but the longer the better.
- You can eat it alone or with egg noodles, rice, quinoa, etc.