I’ve made this sandwich a couple of times and I’m always changing it. I’m really happy with how it came out this time so I decided to share it! This sandwich can be made vegan but I did use a couple of dairy products this time.
- Rye bread or any bread you like, toasted
- I bought mine but hopefully someday I will make my own!
- Swiss cheese or any kind you prefer.
Thousand Island Dressing:
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp relish or olives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. I like to make it a couple hours before I’m going to eat it so the flavor is more developed.
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup canellini beans
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place all the ingredients except the vital wheat gluten in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the vital wheat gluten in a big mixing bowl.
- Pour in the blended mixture and fully incorporate.
- Knead the mixture into a loaf shape.
- Wrap the loaf in foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Let it cool before slicing.
- Place a slice of cheese on one of the pieces of bread and melt it.
- On the other slice of bread smear a good amount of the thousand island dressing. Top with a good amount if the sauerkraut.
- Heat up a pan and sear two slices of the seitan. Melt a slice of cheese on the seitan.
- Put the sandwich together and enjoy!